MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. The following is a comprehensive overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the primary group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, three of the aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, composed of three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C or N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials get them to have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be utilized in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which can be utilized in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, similar to the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually range from the etching treatment of the MAX phase as well as the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are widely used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. For instance, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which can realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. These aspects can become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques may be further explored to realize a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, however, there is still room for additional optimization. Later on, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other facets of the fabric may be studied and improved comprehensive to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be popular in lots of fields, but there are still many potential application areas to be explored. In the future, they may be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. With the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.